Post-Thanksgiving Camping at Deception Pass State Park - Quarry Pond Campground

Liz and I made the decision earlier this summer to book campgrounds every month through the Spring of 2018. We are so glad we did. Knowing that we've paid for a site makes it easier to follow through with the decision to go when the weather turns mean and nasty. Like this past week.

The main campground at Deception Pass (one of our alltime favorites) is closed for the winter, but Quarry Pond Campground--technically a part of the Deception Pass State Park--is open year round. 

Here are a few shots from our weekend:

Liz and I have eaten many, many times at The Corner Restaurant, after a day of sea kayaking in the eddies and whirlpools of Deception Pass. This place is sentimental to us. Also, I think it's hilarious that we can park our car and teardrop in a single car space!


Our setup for the weekend: Changing room on the left, Coleman canopy (this thing rocks!), etc.




So dang cozy.


First things first in the morning...

How long must we wait??!!


Aside from coffee, doesn't everything really begin and end with bacon?


I brought my new banjo to bless Liz and the campers around us. I'm sure they appreciated it. Right? I turn 60 in less than a week, and this is an early gift Liz got me. It's my dream banjo (and no...that's not an oxymoron).


Did I mention that I also brought my mandolin? I'm always hoping (often against hope) that someone else in the campgrounds we visit will have an instrument or two. Every so often, it happens.


We headed down to Coupeville for the morning, past the entrance to the Navy base on Whidbey Island. I grew up around jets like these, as my Dad was career Navy. I consider myself a pacifist, but am still intrigued by the sleekness and speed of jet aircraft.


Coupeville is the oldest town in Washington. It's a pretty sweet little place with lots of coffee shops, bakeries, small town trinket shops, etc. It's also on Penn Cove, where Penn Cove Mussells come from. Also, the film, "Practical Magic" was filmed here. This picture doesn't do the town justice. 


Packed up and pulling out. Never my favorite part (the leaving), but always grateful for a good time had.


Cornet Bay, nearby.


Looking east as we head back across the Deception Pass Bridge.


Looking west as we head back across the Deception Pass Bridge.


Liz Patterson - the best friend, wife, and camping companion I could ever ask for.

Comments

Popular Posts